Thursday, June 10, 2010

Your Brain (and Bodies) on Computers


The article More Americans Sense a Downside to an Always Plugged-In Existence, included in the New York Times (NYT) series "Your Brain on Computers," highlights the results from a recent NYT/CBS news poll. According to the poll, most Americans feel that technology, such as smart phones and computers, have made their lives better and easier, but some indicate that these devises are intrusive and increase their levels of stress.

Younger people in particular report that these devises make it harder for them to focus, and people in general just can't shut off after work with almost 40% of respondents checking work email after hours and on vacation.

Come on people, there is more to life than work! Not only is this addiction to technology changing the way our brains are functioning, it's also contributing to the overall health decline of the American workforce. Clearly, living a sedentary lifestyle and being chronically glued to our computers is a huge contributing factor to the obesity epidemic and the cause of many musculoskeletal issues.

I'm an active and fit person, and also embarrassed to admit that I am suffering from tennis elbow due to my excessive computer use. I wish it was from tennis! Too much work and not enough play, maybe this is my body giving me a sign.


1 comment:

  1. Right on Erin! Again, a very informative article. It really makes me think twice about being on the computer too much! I think I'll go read a good book!

    ReplyDelete