Saturday, June 5, 2010

Blogging on Blogging


My first tech learning adventure for this blog is this blog. Through reading blogs, I knew of a few free options– Blogger/Blogspot and Wordpress. Little did I know that Blogger and Blogspot are one in the same (Blogger blogs are hosted at Blogspot urls and are owned by Google).

I reviewed both programs and chose Blogger because it seemed less sophisticated than Wordpress and easier to use. I liked the simple homepage, step-by-step tutorial, and the fact that you can login through Gmail. I also looked into what my friends use for their personal blogs and Blogger was the winner. After the fact, I recalled Tumblr, but it was too late, I had already made my mark on the World Wide Web with Worth My While?.

Setting up the blog was easy, although I am not yet using many of the available features. Coming up with a fun and catchy title was the most time consuming aspect of the process. I quickly discovered that there are few original ideas left, or at least I wasn’t coming up with them (luckily my boyfriend had a few).

Although kind of witty, "Web 2.No" and "Web 2.Ouch" sounded anti-technology, which is not my position. “Hey me, wake up, its 2010!”, “To Tweet or not to Tweet” and “F my L! Do I really need social media?” were just too ridiculous, although they gave me a laugh.

"What the Tech?", "The Technovirgin", "Tech-shy", "Techcurious(ity)", and "The Late Adopter" were all claimed in some capacity—whether it be a band, blog, business, or Twitter moniker.

Time to research the rules on naming rights… If someone has an abandoned blog or twitter account, do they still have rights to that that name, or did they ever really have rights to it? For now, better to be safe than sorry.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erin, that was very interesting! I'd like to read all your blog posts. Will you be notifying us each time you write one? Keep up the good work! You'll turn into a techie yet! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom,
    Of course you are my number one fan and the first commenter on my blog post, so cute!

    You can just click on the "follow" button and/or "subscribe to posts" through an rss feed. Rest assured, if you don't know how to do that, I will get to it on my blog soon. I also don't currently subscribe to RSS feeds or blogs, but plan to explore that topic.

    ReplyDelete