Saturday, June 5, 2010

Is this blog worth my while?


I am not oblivious to the rapidly changing world of technology around me, but I am cautious in embracing new technologies. I managed to avoid joining MySpace and Friendster when those sites were hot, only caving to Facebook last year. I am still holding out on Twitter, but not for long. I haven’t had cable TV since I lived with my parents 15 years ago (not like cable TV is new, but I have yet to experience Tivo or DVR) and I just purchased my first digital camera nine months ago. I actually use my phone to talk to people, and it is not of the smart variety.

If I have managed to live without “it” thus far (whatever “it” may be at the moment), I question whether it’s necessary. I fear that once I become accustomed to using new technologies that I won’t be able to live without them. Case in point, I recently misplaced my new IPod shuffle and couldn’t fathom running without it. I managed to exercise with my big clunky IPod attached to my arm for years before, with no issue.

More importantly, learning new technology can be intimidating and time consuming. How do people have time to learn and use all these new, cool gadgets and tools? I am a full-time worker, part-time student, and also would like to have a social life. I only want to embrace new technology if it will help me be more productive, advance my career, or enhance my social life. No time wasters!

Through this blog, I will explore new technologies through this lens—-hence the title “Worth My While?”. I am hoping other late adopters may find some humor in my musings and may learn some tips for integrating new technologies in their work and lives through my experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment