Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Social Bookmarking: Can You Digg it?


Recently, I started to hear more about social bookmarking sites, however I didn't understand what these sites are, how they work, or why I would want to use one. Wikipedia defines social bookmarking as "a method for Internet users to share, organize, search, and manage bookmarks of web resources." According to Wikipedia, the concept of online bookmarking has been around since the mid-nineties, but it didn't really catch on at the time. In 2003, Delicious pioneered tagging and coined the term social bookmarking and it has been taking off like wildfire ever since.

Today, there are dozens of popular bookmarking sites and apparently many great uses for them.
How many of these icons do you recognize?

Use #1 - Marketing: When you submit your business, website, or blog onto a social benchmarking site, you increase the likelihood that search engines will find and index your site. Using bookmarking services is a great strategy for generating traffic and in some instances can work too well and crash your server.

Worth your while? Why not, what do you have to lose?! Social benchmarking sites are free, and fairly easy to use. The downside is that there are so many of them to choose from, and to my knowledge there is not a standard process for submission. You've got to do it the old fashioned way, one at a time.

I'm experimenting with posting my blog on a few directory sites (Yahoo, Bing, and Google blog listings, Blogpulse, Bloglines, and Technorati) to see what will happen. Maybe someone other than my mom, boyfriend, and professors may read it.

Use #2 - Being Social: I have never felt the urge to click a little icon to announce to the world what I've read and whether I dug it (Digg anyone?). I understand that some people enjoy this; we need these people, otherwise these sites wouldn't be worth visiting. Bookmarking and ratings inform us of what is newsworthy at the moment, according to the masses vs. "the man," hence social media. Verdict: Worthwhile for others to post. I will stick to being an occasional voyeur for now.

Use #3 - Organizing yourself: I have been using Internet Explorer for years (and am mildly embarrassed about it). I know there is something better or faster out there, perhaps Chrome or Firefox, so have recently been testing out different browsers. The jury's still out on which I prefer.

One of the reasons I've been reluctant to switch browsers is because I heavily rely on my bookmarks and didn't want to start from scratch with a new browser. I didn't know that I can use a social bookmarking site solely for personal organization. Storing my favorite links online will get me through this fickle phase and will mitigate the multiple computer issue (like
Dropbox did for my school files).

Taking action: I just signed up for Delicious and imported all my bookmarks from Internet Explorer to start. This transition will take a fair amount of time up front to get organized, and of course time to get used to the change, but hopefully will be worth it.

I chose Delicious because it was one of of the original bookmarking sites and is still one of the most popular. Delicious is tied to my Yahoo account so it was easy to set up, and it seemed more geared towards personal use than some of the other that I checked out, like Digg and Stumbled Upon.

I am the type of person that doesn't like too many choices; more than three and I am overwhelmed. Just like the web browsers, I am sure there may be better ones out there than Internet Explorer, but it takes a fair amount of time and energy to test drive them all. Delicious will have to do. At least the name sounds kind of cool and sexy.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this super helpful distillation! I've never fully understood bookmarking either, and have been a little overwhelmed by all those bookmarking sites. Can't wait for your review of delicious. Not sure it's worth my while... ;)

    ReplyDelete