Monday, July 12, 2010

Distracted By Discounts

Recently I've been enthralled by a slew of invitation-only, private sale, online shopping retailers like Gilt Groupe, ideeli, and Rue La La. I'm sure there are many more sites like these that exist, but I don't even want to know about them because I don't want the temptation.

These sites create demand for their products because of the exclusivity of the sales, the deep discounts, and the lure of the limited-time offering. For instance, on the wildly-successful Gilt Groupe, sales only last 36 hours. This time component increases the pressure to buy. If you snooze you lose (or maybe you save money).

Each day I receive an e-mail from these retailers announcing the special sales of the day. Hordes of women watch as the timer ticks down on the website to start shopping for their favorite designer brands when the sale goes live at noon. Items often sell out quickly so I won't be relying upon Dragon Speak to complete my purchases. ideeli even sells membership to "front row" seats to these sales, allowing you to shop an hour before the commoners.

There's definitely a viral component to the shopping sites. Participants are encouraged through various referral bonuses to drag their friends into the ring.

Although these sites initially focused on fashion, many are now selling a more broad, holistic, discounted luxury lifestyle (if there ever was a more oxymoronic concept). Now you can get 1000 count Egyptian cotton sheets or buy a complete vacation that comes with the sheets included on the Tempur-pedic mattress in your room.

Recently Gilt Groupe launched Jetsetter, their version of a limited-time travel discount site(fortunately you get 5 days instead of 5 minutes to decide your travel plans). I'm considering using Jetsetter for an upcoming vacation to Canada, the allure of a glamorous 4 star hotel at 2 star prices is too much to resist. The only caveat being, unlike other hotel booking sites that allow for cancellations there's no backing out once you click to commit to your new luxury accomodations.

I even bought a six month membership to a high-end gym on one of these websites for much less than I would have paid walking in off the street. I also skipped out on enrollment fees and unbreakable gym contracts. Not having to deal with the typical cheesy gym membership salespeople was an added bonus.

I like learning about new designers and brands through these sites, as well as shopping designers and brands that I normally can't afford. I think the sites are worth while for people who have money to burn (which does not describe me), because it's fun to browse and shop for the designer of the day. For those that don't have unlimited discretionary funds you might find yourself spending money on things you really don't need. If you're looking for something specific that they are offering, you could be in luck.

P.S. If anyone wants a subscription to one of these sites let me know. I'd be happy to get my referal bonus , just stay away from the size 7 pumps!

No comments:

Post a Comment