Friday, July 16, 2010

Digital Doobies

I just stumbled across a report on Wired.com, "Teens Using Digital Drugs to Get High" and was naturally curious as to what this could be referring to. I read the story and watched the video clips in disbelief. Apparently i-dosing, or digital drugs, involves listening to specific music (largely a droning noise) through headphones.

Wait, I listen to loud, weird music through headphones all the time, is that why I am so out of it lately (no, I think that is actually because of too much work and not enough sleep, unfortunately)?

According to the report, this music uses binaural technology to alter your brain waves and mental functioning, mimicing the feeling of being high on drugs.




Of course, teens are going to have interest in trying this. I'm even mildly tempted, but decided I'm much too old to get hooked on drugs, even of the digital persuasion.

To pose the question that I pretty much do at the end of every blog post, is it worth my while? It depends on how you're looking at it. Digital drugs are free and legal, so what do you have to lose, besides your sanity. I can't imagine that there could be too many adverse effects, certainly not worse than actually doing drugs, but who knows? The digital age is so crazy. I'm not really willing to find out, but if someone else is, let me know how it goes.
Apparently, you can find i-dosing music and videos on YouTube, but I'm not going to link you right to it. I'm not a drug dealer, I'm a blogger!

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting Erin! What will they think of next? I've never heard of this. You keep us up on all the latest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine that none of the superpower governments wouldn't have already figured this kind of thing out and used it for their own purposes ages ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be some overhyped marketing ploy--the digital age's version of mood rings.

    ReplyDelete